Monday, February 11, 2008

meditation 6

Meditation six deals with the existence and material things but what really interests me is Descartes idea of the proof for the body being separate and distinct from the soul. His proof goes like this, What ever god can create I can perceive it, if got creates things to be separate from one another, they are distinct from each other, I understand my existence therefore I don’t need a body, so god can make a thinking thing independent of a body, so my soul is distinct from my body. So I can exist without a body. I find his proof very interesting, just wonder how he came to some of the conclusions about his proof. One of my biggest problems is that god can make a soul distinct from the body but how does he get his soul is distinct from the body. How does he know that God doesn’t choose or only certain people have souls distinct from their bodies?

No comments: